- Former Israel PM Ehud Olmert mulls a comeback.
- Ori Nir: Supporting Israeli media strengthens its democracy
- EU agrees to new Iran sanctions.
- Iran Deputy FM Aragchi: Iran not in a hurry to sit at 5+1 negotiating table.
- Lessons from Cuban missile crisis for Iran: UN envoy worked back channels to forge compromise.
- Tea in Doha while Syria burns: Beth Dickinson dispatch from the deal-making corridors of exile.
- Syria rebel arms flows said to boost jihadists. Continue reading
The cast of TV thriller “Homeland” arrived this week in Israel where part of the second season will be filmed. The Showtime series is based on an originally Israeli drama called Prisoners of War. It stars Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison, a bipolar CIA officer who believes a Marine war hero held hostage by al Qaeda has been turned by the group. Actor Mandy Patinkin plays Saul Berenson, Carrie’s long suffering CIA boss, who gets her intelligence but is running out of options to cover for her increasing instability.
Patinkin, in real life, is also, for the past decade, a member of the board of the peace group, Americans for Peace Now. APN’s Ori Nir sends this photo of Patinkin in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Silwan Friday, before he spoke to a crowd of a few hundred progressive peace activists. Nir writes: Continue reading